Monday, April 23, 2007

It's just not cricket

I was thinking that India would be a good place to be during the Cricket World Cup. And then they unexpectedly got themselves knocked out in the first round and so it proved to be a very bad place to be, 1 billion mourners and all that. And then, it turned out to be a very good place to be after all because, not unexpectedly, England got themselves knocked out! And so, we mourned together.

I reckon I might be able to get a game at the next world cup and so I am preparing for it. It will be held here on the sub-continent and so I have been busily getting myself accustomed to the pitches and some unusual variables that I reckon are unique to India. For instance, where else in the world would your game be abandoned beacuse of a camel sitting on the wicket? And in full, magnificent, view of the Taj Mahal?







Compared to Varanassi, this was but a minor shower. Here, on the banks of the Ganges I have played two games late in the afternoon. The first I had to abort taking a quick single due to an onrushing large, Brahman cow that wasn't too keen to give way and which sent me periliouly close to the water's edge. During the second match, I went to take a catch only to be pecked at by a gaggle of geese, enraged at my having distubeed their sleep and then later, a goat headbutted my leg when fleeing from two foaming dogs.







Only in India.

3 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Can it get any better?!

What's next, surfing with the native hawaiians, Yak polo in Mongolia!!

Great going guys. I'm sure all the hard work of travelling through India will pay off when you have stories to tell for the rest of your lives!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Katherine Buckley said...

And where are you two?? Andrew and Jennine you must be on yourway back to Australia via Hong Kong now? Baby bump and all!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Half Pizza said...

Mike I love the long hair, please don't cut it until I see you in the flesh. Plus how brown are you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home